Residential Fellowships are available to be taken between January and May each year.
- Retreat Fellowships are for two weeks.
- Flagship Fellowships are for three weeks.
- Second Book Fellowships are for two weeks and available for writers who have already had one book published.
Each year Varuna will award 30 Residenial Fellowships including four Flagship Fellowships and up to four Second Book Fellowships.
Varuna Residential Fellowships offer a writer independent writing time, accommodation and full board at Varuna, the Writers House in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia.
The residency provides a dedicated writing environment allowing intensive work, conversation and community.
Varuna Fellowships for Writing Retreats are taken between January and end of May each year.
The Flagship Fellowships are:
Successful applicants need to contact Varuna as soon as possible after notification of their place, to nominate their preferred dates.
Varuna Residential Fellowships run from Mondays (arriving from 2pm) to Mondays (vacating by 9:30am).
For more information on arrival and what to expect at the house, please refer to: Residency Details.
Mentoring is not included in the fellowship but writers can request a fee-paying Writing Development Consultation with one of Varuna's consultants.
What Writers Say
Who can apply?
We offer Varuna Fellowships for all genres of imaginative writing or illustrating, including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, genre writing, writing and/or illustrating children's books, graphic novels, dramatic/screen writing, writing for radio, translation, essays or short fiction.
Writers may be at any stage of career development, working with commitment at a professional level.
Committed writers engaged on a major project are encouraged to apply for Varuna Residential Fellowships.
Varuna Residential Fellowships for Writers & Illustrators are available to Australian citizens or permanent residents 18 years and over.
Writers who have previously been awarded a fellowship are required to wait three years before applying again.
Applications for the 2017 residency program will open 16 June 2016 and close midnight on 30 July 2016 (AEST).
Results will be available on the Varuna website by 30 September 2016.
Fellowships can be taken between January and the end of May 2017.
- Varuna aims to achieve a balance of new, emerging and established writers from all states and territories, according to their merit.
- Applications are sought from new and emerging writers who can demonstrate the viability of their writing project.
- Applications are sought from established writers who can demonstrate achievement, professionalism and clear goals for using the Writing Retreat period.
- Writers cannot apply specifically for the Flagship Fellowships - rather, they are offered to individuals whose applications are a ‘striking and original voice in fiction, non-fiction or poetry. If no application of outstanding merit is received within a category, the selectors may choose not to award a Flagship Fellowship for that category.
- If you have at least one book published you may also be considered for a Second Book Fellowship - please select 'Yes' on the application form.
- Applications for Fellowships for Writing Retreats are assessed strictly on the writing material submitted rather than on references.
Selections for the Varuna Residential Fellowships for Writers & Illustrators are made by a committee of four qualified selectors from the Varuna Alumni Association.
Candidates for the Flagship or Second Book Fellowships are chosen by the selection panel from the list of writers who apply for the Writing Retreat Fellowships.
All decisions are final and no correspondence about the selection process or results will be entered into.
Costs to Applicant
$55 per application. Fees cover administrative costs and help sustain this program.
Successful applicants are required to contribute $250 per week of Fellowship residency.
(Applications open 16 June 2016)