Residential Fellowships are available to be taken between January and May each year.
- Varuna Residential Fellowships and Varuna Second Book Fellowships are both for two weeks.
- The Henry Handel Richardson Flagship Fellowship is also for two weeks and includes a cash award of $1000 to cover travel costs and additional expenses. You can find out more about the Henry Handel Richardson Society here.
- The Dark and the Hewitt Flagship Fellowships are each for three weeks.
Flagship Fellowships and Second Book Fellowships are awarded by the Peer Selection panel as part of the assessment process and do not need a separate application.
Each year Varuna awards 30 Residential Fellowships including the Second Book and Flagship Fellowships.
Varuna Residential Fellowships offer a writer independent writing time, accommodation and full board at Varuna, the Writers House in the Blue Mountains near Sydney, Australia.
The residency provides a dedicated writing environment allowing intensive work, conversation and community.
Varuna Residential Fellowships are taken between January and end of May each year.
Flagship Fellowships are offered to writers whose work shows a striking and original voice in fiction, non-fiction, environmental writing and/or poetry.
The Flagship Fellowships are:
Successful applicants need to contact Varuna as soon as possible after notification of their place, to nominate their preferred dates.
Varuna Residential Fellowships run from Mondays (arriving from 2pm) to Mondays (vacating by 9:30am).
For more information on arrival and what to expect at the house, please refer to: Residency Details.
What Writers Say
Who can apply?
We offer Varuna Fellowships for all genres of imaginative writing or illustrating, including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, genre writing, writing and/or illustrating children's books, graphic novels, dramatic/screen writing, writing for radio, translation, essays or short fiction.
Writers may be at any stage of career development, working with commitment at a professional level.
Committed writers engaged on a major project are encouraged to apply for Varuna Residential Fellowships.
Varuna Residential Fellowships for Writers & Illustrators are available to Australian citizens or permanent residents 18 years and over.
Writers who have previously been awarded a fellowship are required to wait three years before applying again.
Applications for the 2018 residency program will open 16 June 2017 and close midnight on 30 July 2017 (AEST).
Results will be available on the Varuna website by 30 September 2017.
Fellowships can be taken between January and the end of May 2018.
- Varuna aims to achieve a balance of new, emerging and established writers from all states and territories, according to their merit.
- Applications are sought from new and emerging writers who can demonstrate the viability of their writing project.
- Applications are sought from established writers who can demonstrate achievement, professionalism and clear goals for using the Writing Retreat period.
- Writers cannot apply specifically for the Flagship Fellowships - rather, they are offered to individuals whose applications are a ‘striking and original voice in fiction, non-fiction or poetry. If no application of outstanding merit is received within a category, the selectors may choose not to award a Flagship Fellowship for that category.
- If you have at least one book published you may also be considered for a Second Book Fellowship - please select 'Yes' on the application form.
- Applications for Fellowships for Writing Retreats are assessed strictly on the writing material submitted rather than on references.
Selections for the Varuna Residential Fellowships for Writers & Illustrators are made by a committee of four qualified selectors from the Varuna Alumni Association.
Candidates for the Flagship or Second Book Fellowships are chosen by the selection panel from the list of writers who apply for the Writing Retreat Fellowships.
All decisions are final and no correspondence about the selection process or results will be entered into.
Costs to Applicant
$55 per application. Fees cover administrative costs and help sustain this program.
Successful applicants are required to contribute $300 per week of Fellowship residency (NB this fee is waived for the recipient of the HHR Flagship Fellowship).
Varuna now has The Varuna Travel Assistance Fund which you can apply for, if eligible, and and State and Territory arts departments are often willing to provide a contribution for travel expenses to support genuine professional development opportunities.
CLICK HERE TO GO TO GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FORM (Applications open 16 June 2017)