The Fellowship includes full board and accommodation at Varuna including a prepared evening meal, uninterrupted time to write in your own private studio, the companionship of your fellow writers and the opportunity to receive feedback on your work from a Varuna Consultant. Varuna awards five Litlink Fellowships to writers living in regional NSW each year.
Varuna has proven the perfect setting for a concentrated examination of what my novel needs to give it lift-off . . . . It has been a privilege having time in the Varuna environment, where writers and writing are valued and nurtured, with access to a wealth of experience.Dael Allison, LitLink Unpublished Manuscript Award, 2009.
Getting Started & Who Can Apply
To be eligible for a LitLink Residential Fellowship you will need to live in regional New South Wales or the greater Sydney area* and have written a work of poetry, drama, fiction or narrative non-fiction. Your work should also be at an advanced stage.
Varuna considers all poetry, drama, literary, and genre-based work for the Fellowships. This includes young adult and junior fiction, travel writing, theatre and film scripts and family memoir. In making their selection the Selectors are looking for new work that is original, actively engages the reader/intended audience and that has a distinctive voice and a well-developed sense of direction.
You will need to submit your application by 30 April 2016.
Click here to go straight to Application Guidelines and Application Form. (applications open 15 March 2016)
* Greater Sydney is all of the Sydney Metropolitan Area other than the inner urban areas of Global Sydney. It comprises the diverse suburban communities that ring Global Sydney from Campbelltown in the South to the Northern suburbs, Gosford and the Central Coast in the North and Penrith in the West. It also encompasses the economic, administrative and social hubs of Parramatta, Liverpool, Campbelltown, Penrith, Blacktown, Sutherland and Hornsby.
The Greater Sydney sub-regions covered by this area are:
• South (Kogarah, Hurstville, Canterbury, Rockdale, Sutherland)
• North (Hornsby, Ku-ring-gai, Pittwater, Warringah)
• West Central (Auburn, Blacktown, Hills Shire, Holroyd, Parramatta)
• North West (Baulkham Hills, Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Penrith)
• South West (Bankstown, Fairfield, Wollondilly, Camden, Campbelltown, Liverpool)
• Central Coast (Gosford and Wyong)
A panel consisting of three Varuna Consultants read all applications. Consultants assess the work blind with no identifying information appearing on any of the selection material. The Consultants then meet to discuss the applications. At this meeting they select the writers who will be awarded a Fellowship.
Applications open on Monday 15 March 2016.
Applications close on Saturday 30 April 2016. You will need to send your electronic submission to Varuna by midnight (AEST) on the closing date.
Varuna will post the names of the recipients of the LitLink Residential Fellowships on Varuna’s website on Wednesday 15 June 2016.
The LitLink Residency will be at Varuna from Monday 12 September (from 2pm) until Sunday 25 September 2016 (11.00am).
Costs to Applicant
The application fee is $55 (GST free) per application. Fees cover administrative costs and help sustain this program.
Litlink Residential Fellowships include all accommodation and all meals at Varuna, the National Writers House in Katoomba and a consultation with one of Varuna's Writing Consultants.
All successful applicants are asked to make a contribution of $350 (GST free) towards their two-week residency and will need to meet their own travel expenses to and from Varuna, the National Writers House.
(applications open 15 March 2016)